Tag Archive - DIY

It’s in the stars… I may have used this headline before!

Ha! I just noticed I published a post that is far from being ready to share at this time. 🙂 But I will share this finished piece I have in for a DIY submission. I think it’s pretty cool and I’ll either share the full details later!

Leo

Sneak Peek – Dining room chairs

We also finished the dining room chairs, which have been sitting in the garage with what looked like a terrible case of diaper rash for a year! It’s an entertaining story and I will be more than happy to share it on Monday with more a few more photos. In the meantime, here’s a reference photo of their previous incarnation.

Bon Weekend – Flurries of activity.

We’ve finished several projects over the last couple of weeks and I think we’re good to say that the entry/stairs are finished for the moment. I’m happy with how everything looks right now and I’m sure we’ll add a few things down the road. We also need to add the rocks to the boot tray (which was purchased from Crate & Barrel).

I do have some touch-up work on the kick plates as taping appears to have been a giant fail on several steps.

Before:

During:

After: (more…)

Knock! Knock!

I’ve been trying to post an update but we’re finishing several long standing projects in preparation for guests tomorrow afternoon (more details on that) and it was my birthday on Monday. It’s either throw a party or have company over to really light a fire to finish projects in limbo. Anyway, we finished the last details on the stairs and poly’d them this morning. The quarter rounds will be seated later.

I likey.

Bon Weekend – The next steps

You betcha, I went there. Here’s a sneak peek at the latest step in the painting project. These were done by Michael and he decided to mimic wood grain with the brush pull effect. I think they look pretty awesome. We have one more effect we’re trying to accomplish before applying the polyurethane.

Have a safe and fabulous weekend!

Housecleaning and a new DIY page

I was updating a few posts this weekend when I discovered what seemed to be a *tiny* snafu when I imported all of the old posts from Blogger. I’m not exactly sure where things went wrong, but all of those posts had page errors when clicked on, as well as some serious taxonomy issues. It meant spending the evening hours during the weekend going into every post and republishing them, as well as adding the correct categories & tags. That’s good, that’s very good.

What’s even better is that this motivated me to create a new page dedicated to DIY projects we’ve worked on. Some have detailed steps and some are kind of basic, but I hope they’ll prove to be inspirational. We have several projects ‘on the books’ and will work those in as time allows. In the meantime…let me introduce the new page!

I still need to work through my categories and tags as well as making link categories, but for now, I think I’ve got things fairly in order.

Puttying about

Oh dear, I do believe I sounded a tad cranky yesterday! I finished sanding the magazine rack and got a coat of spray paint applied. I have no idea what I was thinking when I picked out the color, so we picked up another shade of red while we were on a supply run at Lowe’s tonight. Good thing as I borked the paint in a couple of places. Seriously though, I should leave the spray painting to Michael. He worked for Sherwin Williams while in college and is the spray master!

I got the sanding and filling done on the stairs and will do another round of light sanding before painting. Hopefully we can start that tomorrow night. We’re doing white kick plates and steps will be Paradise Green by Valspar.


The photo on the left was taken just after I pulled up the nasty carpet runner.

I’m also going to paint the banister/railing white.

Peeling back the layers

There’s a reason this lovely little magazine rack was pretty cheap. Oh the rust, oh the sanding! I hope to have it painted by the end of the week as we’re also working on the stairs and finishing the entry nook during the same time.

The color will be a lovely red satin.

Making an entrance

We’re about to head downtown for the Farmers Market and since I missed getting this up yesterday, I thought I’d take a couple of minutes to get another project posted. We’re working on our entry/landing area. We used primed bead board for this project.

Michael lightly hung up the coat rack to show mom the progress.

We just need to sand the patches and then paint. The umbrella stand needs a bath and possibly a paint job and we need to find something that will work as boot trays. We also decided on the color Paradise Green from Valspar for the stairs.

We may have this finished by the end of the weekend. The garden always beckons…

Shelter from the swelter

backShade

We’ve been doing our best to embrace the onslaught of summer, but we have our breaking point. It’s rendered the yard virtually unusable during the daytime, and that’s the best time for mom to try to take her mind away from the daily pain she lives in (even after the last round of surgery). She has dreamed of having a pergola one day but we need something NOW. We all agreed that a sail shade would be perfect for this space. I found some on Overstock.com for a really great price and we ordered one with a square shape. We only have two fixed anchor points to work with and I really didn’t want to have permanent poles installed in the ground, so we brainstormed an idea to sink the poles in tubes seated in pots. I originally wanted to go with large ceramic pots but that seemed a little cost prohibitive with buying two pots at the time, and we have plans (and need to budget) for using large ceramic pots elsewhere in the garden. So, we went with these resin pots from Lowes.

1. Cement is mixed and the pvc pipe is set into place.
cement

(more…)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page 3 of 7«12345»...Last »