Tag Archive - before | after

Bon Weekend – project finished!

finished

New shade of red and the magazine rack is finished!

I have one more photo after all of the rust was sanded off… (more…)

Peeling back the layers

There’s a reason this lovely little magazine rack was pretty cheap. Oh the rust, oh the sanding! I hope to have it painted by the end of the week as we’re also working on the stairs and finishing the entry nook during the same time.

The color will be a lovely red satin.

And there was much rejoicing.

fireworks 21
Photo by Flickr user ursmajor.

I’ve been away yet I’ve been right here. There have a few events happening in RL that combined with trying to keep up with multiple social networking sites I, well, let the dust start collecting here. When I was ready to start posting a few weeks back I couldn’t think of where to start. A friend simply said, “Just post something, anything, but do it to get rolling again.”. She’s right! I think I’ll share some highlights of what I’ve/we’ve been working on since I flew the coop. I’ll then repost each with more information and details! So without further ado and for your viewing pleasure I give… you pictures!

We revamped our breakfast nook last month. I really love hanging out in this space!

I made these collapsible display busts for the booth inspired by this wonderful tutorial on Design*Sponge:

I completed an intensely fun painting project recently. No really, it was incredibly therapeutic!

Michael cleaned and rewired this beautiful clock we found at thrift store.

We’ve made some great progress in the garden/back yard. We installed a shade sail/sail shade with a collapsible pole system this weekend. It’s not finished but I have this so far.

We had some water issues in the pond that had us stumped for a while but I think we’ve worked them out. This little frog has taken up permanent residence in the pond.

As well as one frisky dragonfly.

We got our new carnivorous garden started.

I showed no mercy when I ripped the nasty old carpet off the stairs last week.

That’s it for today. I’ve really missed this place. ♥

In the tune of ‘Rubber Ducky’.

Saucer pendant, you’re the one
You make bath time lots of fun
Saucer pendant, I’m awfully fond of you
Bo-bo-bo-de-oh…

We made more progress in our bedroom yesterday by hanging our beloved $8.00 Nelson Saucer Pendant Lamps. Here is a snapshot of what I call ‘boob lamps’ before we started painting.

I call these 'boob lamps'.

But before we could get that accomplished, we needed to clean off some serious ick. They’ve gotten progressively dustier over the last several years {and being stored for 7 months now} and even had bird poop on one of them! A bird got into the house – it flew in through the torn porch screen and through the open door – just before we moved last year and must have been in our bedroom for quite a while before we found it perched atop one of the lamps. Poor thing was terrified.

Bath time!
{ I have no idea why the pendant looks so small while Michael is holding it. Maybe it’s because he has giant bear paws! }

This was totally by the seat of our pants. We have no idea if there is a recommended process for cleaning the funky, skink-like plastic material (you know we could have actually tried Googling it), but Michael suggested a little Oxy Clean. I’m happy to say that they are greatly improved.

Saucer Lamps

Installed! Lowe’s didn’t have any flat white ceiling caps so we had to go with the decorative ones.

Bonus! Michael found the ground attached to a live wire when he pulled off the second boob lamp. As you can see, it had been slowly sparking. This is the second electrical snafu we’ve found in the house. One of the outlets in my studio sparked and caught on fire in late August.

Wire Cap

We’re a little concerned about this.

Studio Transformation

Thank you for the feature Design*Sponge!

Design*Sponge feature!

All images click through to their Flickr hosting, with several notes!

I was terrified to take on this monster after the move. I decided to keep the color of room painted by the previous owners.

studioBefore

studioBefore2

After we made some progress in the room we installed the new lights and fan, all purchased from Lowe’s.
studioUpdate

Then it was time to paint the magnetic chalkboard.
chalkboard

(more…)

Before | After: Computer Table

tableBeforeAfter

We purchased a 1926 Singer 66 sewing machine last year at Goodwill for $9.99. Sadly, we think it’s in very poor condition, and we’re considering using it for parts for another 66. The veneer on the table was in horrid shape as well. I needed a new computer table, so it seemed as though this was the perfect solution. We pulled the top off, stripped the problem veneer, painted it, and added a new top made from scrap MDF. { All images click through to larger sizes. }

The neglected 66 that we’ll attempt to restore down the road, or used for parts for another 66.

Singer66

After a light sanding, we spray painted the base with Valspar’s Black Satin paint. Michael then cut the scrap MDF top and drilled the hole for the table grommet for the cords, or cord with my new computer.

(more…)

In search of…

Lampshades!
We bought these lead crystal lamp bases at an estate sale several months ago. Michael immediately rewired one and cleaned the glass and metal base. The socket covers still need to be painted and most importantly, we need to find lampshades. Our web-fu skills have not proven very useful in finding anything suitable.

Purchased for $12.00
Left: before
Right: after

Lead crystal lamp bases.

Suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Oops! I totally forgot to mention that these lamps don’t have harps so the shade would either need to be the type to clip over the bulb or one that has the loop so that it can sit on top of the bulb.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page 2 of 2«12